- 2 yards of fabric (cotton recommended)
- Matching thread
- Sewing machine
- Start by washing and ironing your fabric to remove any wrinkles.
- Lay the fabric flat on your working surface.
- Cut the fabric into a rectangle measuring 44 inches by 36 inches. Alternatively, you can customize the dimensions based on the size of your pillow.
- Fold the fabric in half lengthwise, right sides together, and pin the long edges together.
- Using a sewing/” title=”Stitching Stories: A Beginner's Guide to Sewing”>sewing machine, sew a straight stitch along the pinned edge, leaving a ½ inch seam allowance.
- Next, fold the open (unsewn) edges of the fabric over about ½ inch, press them with an iron, and fold them again another ½ inch to create a neat hem. Pin in place.
- Sew a straight stitch along the folded hem, about ¼ inch from the folded edge.
- Turn the pillowcase right side out and press it with an iron to give it a polished look.
- Your homemade pillowcase is now ready for use!
- Choose a fabric pattern that complements your bedding or adds a pop of color to your room.
- If you prefer a snugger fit, you can decrease the dimensions of the fabric accordingly.
- Experiment with different decorative stitches or trims to personalize your pillowcase.
- Consider pre-washing your fabric to avoid any shrinking after sewing.